Top 15 Online Marketplaces in Europe to Sell Your Products
Top 15 European Marketplaces to Sell Your Products
As an online seller, exploring new markets to boost your business and reach more customers is a priority. With a population of more than 735 million people and home to major online retailers like Zalando, Otto, and Allegro, Europe is one of the biggest e-commerce markets in the world.
Statista states sales in the European e-commerce marketplace are projected to grow by 10.60% between 2023 and 2027. This will result in a projected market volume of $1304.00 billion by 2027, making expanding into the European market well worth the effort.
If you are planning on breaking into the European ecommerce market, you will need a reliable and cost-effective fulfilment provider. We offer a comprehensive range of services, from storage and inventory management to shipping across Europe. Our state-of-the-art technology allows real-time tracking and seamless integration with your e-commerce platform. Contact us today to get your free quote.
So, what are the top online marketplaces in Europe? Read our guide to the top 15 European e-commerce marketplaces to sell your products to get ahead of the game.
- Europe is the third largest online marketplace, with total retail sales of $498 billion annually.
- Some of the best online marketplaces in Europe to sell your products include Amazon, eBay, Allegro, Zalando, OnBuy, Cdiscount, Fnac, ASOS, Otto and Zalando.
- Amazon and eBay don't originate from the EU but have a large customer base, controlling most of the traffic.
- Each online marketplace in Europe has different policies for listing products. While some require a one-time setting fee to list your products, others don't.
The 15 Best E-Commerce Marketplaces in Europe
Selling online in Europe is easy, thanks to the numerous online stores that make listing your products easy. Here are the best 15 online marketplaces that dominate the European e-commerce industry.
- Amazon in Europe
- What is Amazon? - Amazon is an online marketplace that sells almost everything you can think of (including music, books, housewares and clothing) directly or as the intermediary between other retailers and its customers.
- When was Amazon founded? - Amazon was founded on 5 July 1994 in Bellevue, Washington, United States, by Jeff Bezos.
- Category of goods - Amazon sells CDs, software, apparel, consumer electronics, beauty products, groceries, gourmet food, health and personal care items, jewellery, watches, and more.
- Total traffic in Europe - It has 981 million monthly visits from Europe.
- Countries covered - Amazon is active in several European countries, including France, Italy, Germany, Spain, the Netherlands, Lithuania, Belgium and Poland.
Amazon established its online presence in the United States of America in 1995 and launched Amazon Germany three years later. In 2000, it launched in France and, ten years later, in Spain.
Amazon launched its newest marketplaces in the Netherlands in 2014, Sweden in 2020, Poland in 2021, and Belgium in 2022. While this retail giant has dedicated websites in seven European countries, it sells across the whole continent.
Aside from that, Amazon has over 50 fulfilment centres in Europe, with nine in Poland and the Czech Republic.
The cost of listing your products on Amazon depends on your selected plan, fulfilment strategy and product group. Individual selling plans cost €0.99 for each unit sold, while professional plans cost €39 per month.
- European eBay Site
- What is eBay? - eBay is an American e-commerce company that allows users to list items for sale.
- When was eBay founded? - eBay was founded in San Jose, California, USA, in 1995 by Pierre Omidyar.
- Category of goods - eBay sells products like men's and women's clothing and accessories, health and beauty, computers, jewellery, car phone holder, pet supplies, wireless chargers, necklaces, mobile phones and accessories.
- Total traffic in Europe - eBay has 14 websites and 367 million visits per month.
- Countries covered - European countries like Austria, Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Ireland and Poland.
Selling on the platform works similarly in every country because of its global account system. But this doesn't mean that listing from one eBay website will automatically show in search results worldwide.
Cross-border selling on eBay requires separate translated listings for each country. Merchants on the platform can ship orders directly or use eBay's Global Shipping Program.
- What is Allegro? - Allegro is Poland's most popular online marketplace and one of the largest European e-commerce platforms.
- When was Allegro founded? - It was founded by Kara Jorvig in 1999 in Poznan.
- Category of goods - Allegro sells products in key categories, including fashion, automotive, electronics, home and garden, kids, health and beauty.
- Traffic - Allegro has 185 million monthly visits from more than 22 million customers.
- Countries covered - It is based in Poland and delivers to countries all over Europe, including Austria, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia and Denmark.
Allegro is a single-country online marketplace based in Poland, where it gets 96% of its traffic.
Like eBay and Amazon, Allegro runs a business model that allows users to sell products through its platform. With over 125,000 sellers and 200 million offers on its platform, it is the twelfth largest online marketplace in the world.
It has a self-service registration process that requires uploading company registration documents for foreign businesses.
Sellers on the platform will have to compete on price and quick delivery to get a foothold in the online polish market.
- What is Zalando? - Zalando is a leading European online fashion and lifestyle marketplace connecting customers and brands in 25 countries.
- When was Zalando founded? - It was founded by David Schneider and Robert Gentz in Berlin, Germany, in 2008.
- Category of goods - Zalando offers buyers an extensive range of products, including fashion items like shoes, men's and women's clothing and accessories.
- Traffic - It has 200 million visits monthly.
- Countries covered - Zalando operates in European countries, including Germany, Belgium, France, Austria, Italy, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Ireland, Luxembourg, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Estonia and Romania.
Zalando began operations as a retailer selling its products. But since 2013, it has become an online marketplace where other brands and sellers can sell their products directly to customers.
In 15 European countries, Zalando has more than 22 million active customers, attracting more than 200 million visits per month.
Selling on Zalando is through its Partner Program, which requires sellers to have an existing online presence and an active Instagram profile. Also, sellers selling on Zalando must offer free delivery and provide a 100 days return policy.
- What is Cdiscount? - Cdiscount is a French online marketplace that sells new and used products.
- When was Cdiscount founded? - It was founded by three brothers, Hervé, Christophe and Nicolas Charle, in 1998, with its headquarters in Bordeaux, France.
- Category of goods - Cdiscount sells an extensive range of products like cultural goods, IT and household appliances.
- Traffic - It has more than 8.6 million active customers and 23 million monthly visits.
- Countries covered - Cdiscount sells in six countries, including France, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Spain and Luxembourg.
Cdiscount is the third French online marketplace, with more than 9,000 partner merchants selling products to European customers.
In 2018, it started delivering items to Belgium, Italy, Germany and Spain, marking the beginning of its international expansion with customers placing 5.8 million orders for 11 million items in the second quarter.
It has positioned itself as a discount retailer offering big brands like Apple, Samsung, Gucci, Lacoste and Micheal Kor for less than eight million customers.
Sellers must offer customer service in French and be registered with their country's Register of Companies to join the Cdiscount partner program and sell on the platform.
- What is Fnac? - Fnac is a large European retail marketplace that sells cultural and electronic products.
- When was Fnac founded? - Although it was founded by André Essel and Max Théret in 1954, Fnac launched its online marketplace in 2008.
- Category of goods - Electronic and entertainment goods from big brands like HP, Canon, Samsung and Huawei.
- Traffic - Fnac has more than 12.4 million visits per month.
- Countries covered - Belgium, France, Spain and Portugal.
Fnac, a French retailer, operates the country's third most visited online marketplace after Amazon and Cdiscount, with over 12.4 million monthly visits from customers across several European countries.
It has extensive geographical coverage in France, with close to 760 stores across the country and has expanded to other countries with stores in Portugal, Spain and Belgium.
Although there is no listing fee, it has a monthly subscription of €39.90 with commissions ranging from eight to fourteen per cent. Listing and customer support must be in French to qualify to sell on the platform.
- What is Otto? - Otto is Germany's second-biggest online marketplace that sells products across different categories.
- When was Otto founded? - It originally started as an offline brand selling various products but has since expanded online and sells 90% of its goods on its marketplace.
- Category of goods - Otto sells goods across several categories, including clothing, kitchenware, furniture, toys, electronics and household items.
- Traffic - It has 54 million monthly visits.
- Countries covered - It operates in over 20 countries, including Belgium, Austria and Netherlands.
Otto claims to be the biggest online retailer of lifestyle and fashion products, selling 90% of its goods online to over 9 million customers.
There is a one-time registration fee of €10,000; sellers don't have to pay membership and listing fees. To qualify to sell on their platform, you must have marketplace experience, a minimum of 100 products, and translate into German.
- Kaufland.de (formerly Real.de)
- What is Kaufland.de? - This is one of Germany's largest and fastest-growing online markets, covering over 5,000 product categories.
- When was Kaufland.de founded? - Relaunched in 2017.
- Category of goods - It sells different categories of goods, including electronics like TV, sound systems, headphones, cameras and game consoles. Also, it sells household items, home improvement items and clothes.
- Traffic - Kaufland.de has 32 million monthly visits.
- Countries covered - It has a strong presence in Germany and plans to expand to the Czech Republic and Slovakia in 2023.
Kaufland, formerly Real.de, is one of the biggest online marketplaces in Germany if you are considering expansion. As an online retailer, it sells a wide range of merchandise in different categories and serves customers in different countries.
With a single registration, sellers can list their products on a country-specific marketplace to millions of customers. Merchants selling on Kaufland.de must have German customer support and translate their store into German.
Over 9000 sellers offer over 45 million articles in more than 5000 categories, attracting 32 million visitors per month.
- What is eMAG? - eMAG is the biggest online marketplace in Romania that allows sellers to list products in more than 1600 categories.
- When was eMAG founded? - It was founded in 2001 as an e-commerce store selling office and computer products in Romania.
- Category of goods - eMAG sells different products, including home and decor, car accessories, children and toys, sport and fashion, electronics, groceries and DIY.
- Traffic - Over 30 million monthly visits.
- Countries covered - Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria and Poland.
eMAG emerged in 2001 as an online marketplace selling computer products before it expanded into Bulgaria and Hungary in 2012 and 2013.
This e-commerce platform hosts more than 23,000 sellers who can list products in over 1,600 categories. And has over 500,000 customers daily, generating more than €100 million in revenue.
eMAG has since expanded into selling different products, with the highest sales generated in home and decor, fashion and sports and car accessories.
Selling on eMAG is free, and international businesses are accepted, with an extensive vetting process for new sellers and product listing.
Sellers can track performance for each month and get access to analytics and data, making it easy to know how well their sales are going and manage orders and deliveries.
- Rakuten PriceMinister
- What is Rakuten PriceMinister? - It is the fifth most visited online marketplace owned by Rakuten Group.
- When was Rakuten PriceMiniter founded? - PriceMinister emerged in 2000, was acquired by Rakuten in 2010 and rebranded to Rakuten PriceMinister in 2018.
- Category of goods - You can buy anything from electronics to books, appliances, shoes, clothes, bags and health and beauty products.
- Customers - It has nine million active users.
- Countries covered - It has customers in over 20 countries, including France and Belgium.
As France's fifth largest e-commerce marketplace, with its customer base in more than 20 countries, sellers can easily list their products and expand into new territories. Professional accounts for sellers start at €39 per month, with commissions ranging from 4 to 22 per cent.
- What is Bol.com? - Bol.com is the most popular retailer operating in Belgium and the Netherlands.
- When was Bol.com founded? - It was founded in 1999 and launched its online marketplace in 2011.
- Category of goods - Bol.com sells anything from toys to books, baby items, electronics, health and lifestyle products, sports and leisure, jewellery and accessories.
- Traffic - It received 79 million active from 11 million customers.
- Countries covered - Belgium and the Netherlands.
There is no listing fee for sellers who want to add their products to this platform. But Bol.com charges commissions ranging from five to seventeen per cent, depending on the product. Sellers are selected with pre-qualified questions to join the platform.
- What is Spartoo? - Spartoo is an online marketplace in France that offers fashion products like bags, watches and shoes.
- When was Spartoo founded? - It was founded in 2006 by Boris Saragaglia.
- Category of goods - Spartoo offers products like clothing, bags, jewellery, watches, etc., for men, women and children.
- Traffic - Over 2 million monthly visits.
- Countries covered - It operates in 30 countries, including Belgium, France and Denmark, and services customers in 12 languages.
Spartoo is a popular marketplace in France and most of Europe that sells shoes and clothes.
It is a dream e-commerce website for anyone that wants to expand into the french market and sell shoes, bags and clothes.
Although there is no listing or registration fee, selling on the platform is not easy because you have to guarantee a minimum of 250 SKUs and pay a monthly membership fee of £35.
Sellers are charged between 15 and 20 per cent commission to sell on the platform.
- La Redoute
- What is La Redoute? - La Redoute is a French retailer selling ready-to-wear apparel and home decor.
- When was La Redoute founded? - Launched its online marketplace in 2010.
- Category of goods - Home textiles, furniture, bedding, decoration, men's and women's clothes and shoes.
- Traffic - Seven million visitors.
- Countries covered - 26 countries (mostly European) with more than 10 million customers.
La Redoute is an online marketplace ranked among the top French websites for apparel and home decor. It doesn't charge sellers listing or registration fees.
- What is OnBuy? - This is one of the fastest-growing online marketplaces you can sell with.
- When was OnBuy founded? - November 2016.
- Category of goods - Home goods, electronics, tools, toys, games, DIY, and more.
- Traffic - Seven million visits.
- Countries covered - Based in the UK and cover 140 countries, including European countries.
OnBuy was founded by Cas Paton in 2016 and is one of the best marketplaces where you can list your product if you want to expand your business.
Although it is based in the UK, it has a strong presence in Europe, making it easy to sell your products in the European market.
The selling fee starts at £19 per month, and there is no listing fee. All businesses that want to sell must have a PayPal account to qualify.
- What is ASOS? - ASOS is an online marketplace in Europe that sells products like footwear, men's and women's clothing and beauty products.
- When was ASOS founded? - It was founded by Nicholas Jin Robertson and Quentin John in June 2000.
- Category of goods - Clothing, accessories and shoes, and vintage.
- Traffic - It has 26 million active users.
- Countries covered - Based in the UK, ASOS covers several European markets.
ASOS is an online e-commerce platform that sells branded and own-label products like clothes for men and women.
Founded in 2000, ASOS has expanded into several European countries, maintaining a strong presence. Sellers are to apply to sell on the platform.
Make Order Fulfilment Easy with Bezos
It isn't easy to focus on your core business activities when you devote all your time to negotiating shipping contracts. That is why lots of big businesses are turning to third-party logistics providers like Bezos.ai.
Bezos is a full-service order fulfilment provider that handles all kinds of storage, picking, packing, despatch and delivery for our partners. We helped small and medium e-commerce businesses to scale by providing order fulfilment services that were once for big companies with large budgets.
Our services stand out because we :
- Provide real-time visibility of orders with a single and easy-to-use portal.
- Help online businesses improve customers' experience by providing reliable and accurate fulfilment and delivery.
- Handle every aspect of the order journey, meaning you don't need many resources to manage your order process.
- Reduce the cost of fulfilment and delivering orders to your customers.
- Provide personal touch and a modern feel, automating the process with significant time-saving.
There are many online marketplaces in Europe businesses can expand, making it effortless to increase your revenue. While all these marketplaces allow sellers to list their products, the requirements for listing differ according to the platform. Studying their requirements will make it easy to know which online marketplace is best for you.
Do you need an order fulfilment provider to help you seamlessly deliver your products to your customers? You can outsource your order delivery to Bezos and enjoy the best fulfilment services while focusing on your business.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Online Shopping Popular in Europe?
The European Union is the third biggest e-commerce market in the world and has a total online retail sales of $498 billion annually.
What Are the Most Used Marketplaces in Europe?
Amazon and eBay are the leading online marketplaces for European shoppers. Other marketplaces are Zalando, OnBuy, Cdiscount, Allegro, ASOS, La Redoute and eMAG.
How Do I Sell Online in Europe?
To sell online in Europe, you must find the best European marketplace and create an account. After, you can list your product and partner with a third-party logistics provider to deliver them to your customers.