6 Best Last Mile Couriers Serving the UK
Last mile delivery is the final and most pivotal stage of the eCommerce supply chain, where goods are transported from a distribution hub to the customer's doorstep. With challenges like traffic congestion, parking restrictions, customer availability, and environmental concerns, it's also the most intricate and costly phase of the delivery process. Hence, choosing renowned last mile couriers in the UK, such as Bezos, can significantly enhance your online business, boosting customer satisfaction, retention, and loyalty.
But how do you pinpoint the best international and local courier service in the UK? There are multiple elements to weigh, including speed, reliability, flexibility, convenience, sustainability, and cost.
In this piece, we shall evaluate a selection of top-notch final mile delivery services in the UK, with a particular focus on Bezos. These criteria will assist you in choosing the one that perfectly corresponds with your goals.
Considerations for Choosing the Best Last Mile Couriers in the UK
Selecting the ideal last mile courier service for UK-based companies can be challenging. But you can simplify the procedure by taking into account the following factors:
How fast can the courier deliver your goods to your customers? Depending on your product type and customer expectations, you may need same-day, next-day, standard, or express delivery service UK options. Hence, it is pivotal to select couriers with real-time tracking and notifications to keep you and your customers updated on the delivery status.
How consistent and dependable is the courier's service? You want to steer clear of couriers that frequently experience delays and mishandle or lose your goods. It's also important to check the courier's reviews and ratings from other customers and see how they handle complaints and claims.
How adaptable and responsive is the courier to your specific needs and preferences? Couriers that can handle different sizes, weights, and types of goods, while also providing a range of delivery options, such as door-to-door, click-and-collect, or locker delivery, emerge as viable choices. Plus, look for couriers that accommodate special requests, such as time slots, signatures, or instructions.
How easy and user-friendly is the courier's booking and payment process? Avoid couriers with complicated or outdated systems that require a lot of time and effort. Also, look for couriers with mobile apps or web portals allowing you to manage your orders and shipments online.
How environmentally friendly is the courier's delivery method? You can support eco-friendly delivery service options that use low-emission or zero-emission vehicles, such as bicycles, electric vans, or drones. Hence, couriers with green initiatives, such as carbon offsetting, recycling, or reusing packaging materials, are recommended.
How affordable is the courier's delivery fee? Dismiss couriers that apply concealed or extra surcharges, like those related to fuel, peak periods, or residential deliveries. Opt for couriers that offer discounts or incentives for bulk orders and regular customers.
Summary Table: Key Factors in Selecting Optimal Last Mile Couriers in the UK
Top 6 Last Mile Couriers in the UK
In the bustling landscape of the UK's eCommerce scene, punctual and efficient deliveries are paramount. Ensuring products arrive at your customer's doorstep swiftly and safely is essential for maintaining a positive brand image. But with so many couriers vying for attention, which ones truly stand out?
Allow us to simplify your search. Here's a curated list of the top 6 last mile couriers making waves in the UK. Let's dive in!
Bezos is a new and innovative eCommerce fulfilment platform that leverages artificial intelligence, machine learning, and cloud computing to provide fast, reliable, and sustainable last mile delivery services in the UK. At Bezos, we offer an extensive range of services, including:
- Bezos Green Delivery: We offer an environmentally conscious delivery solution in London, ensuring eco-friendly transportation of orders from our fulfilment centre to customers within zones 1 and 2 (specific postcodes), utilising e-assisted pedal bikes. Our cargo bikes can carry up to 150 kg of goods and reduce carbon emissions by up to 90% when compared to conventional vans.
- Bezos Express Delivery: We provide same-day or next-day delivery of orders from our fulfilment centres across the UK to customers' homes or workplaces using a network of local couriers. Our couriers use intelligent routing algorithms and real-time traffic data to optimise delivery routes and avoid congestion.
- Bezos Locker Delivery: Our locker-based delivery service offers a versatile and convenient solution for transporting orders to or from more than 10,000 secure and easily accessible lockers all around the UK. Customers have the option to receive their orders at a locker close to their residences or workplaces, and they can also easily return items by utilising nearby lockers.
- Bezos Tech Delivery: Our technology-driven delivery service presents cutting-edge and inventive transportation for items necessitating high-tech solutions, including drones, robots, or autonomous vehicles. We use artificial intelligence, machine learning, and cloud computing to enable these delivery methods and ensure optimal performance and safety. Simply, this service is ideal for eCommerce owners who want to offer their customers an advanced and futuristic delivery experience.
So what are you waiting for? Choose Bezos and elevate your eCommerce logistics today!
FedEx is a prominent last mile logistics company operating in over 220 countries and territories around the world. FedEx offers a range of delivery services in the UK, including:
- FedEx Express: This same-day courier service option provides fast and reliable delivery of urgent or time-sensitive shipments within the UK or internationally. A range of delivery choices is available to you, encompassing options like next-day delivery by 10 am, 12 pm, or end of day, as well as same-day delivery.
- FedEx Ground: This service provides cost-effective and eco-friendly delivery of non-urgent shipments within the UK or Europe. Your freight can be delivered within two to five business days.
- FedEx Same-Day City: This service provides local delivery of same-day shipments within selected cities in the UK. You can choose from various delivery options, such as within two hours, four hours, or the end of the day.
- FedEx SmartPost: This service provides low-cost delivery of lightweight shipments within the UK or internationally. FedEx partners with local postal services to deliver your freight to your customers' mailboxes.
UPS is another capable company, serving over 220 countries and territories. UPS offers a variety of last mile delivery services in the UK, including:
- UPS Express: This enables fast and guaranteed delivery of urgent or time-sensitive shipments within the UK or internationally. You can choose from various delivery options.
- UPS Standard: This service provides economical and reliable delivery of non-urgent shipments within the UK or Europe. Your shipments can be delivered within one to five business days.
- UPS Access Point: Offering hassle-free freight delivery to or from more than 15,000 local collection and drop-off locations throughout the UK, you can arrange for your shipments to be sent to a nearby UPS Access Point adjacent to your customers' residences or offices. Additionally, your customers can conveniently deposit returns at a nearby UPS Access Point.
- UPS My Choice: This service provides enhanced delivery options and control for your customers. Customers can sign up for free and manage their deliveries online or via a mobile app. Specifically, they can change the delivery date, time, or location, furnish delivery directives, or make a request for a signature.
XPO is one of the largest logistics companies in the world, with operations in over 30 countries. Their suite of services consists of the following:
- XPO Home Delivery: This service provides specialised delivery of large or heavy items, such as furniture, appliances, or fitness equipment. Additionally, XPO's trained and uniformed drivers will deliver your items to your customers' homes, unpack them, install them, and remove any packaging materials.
- XPO Parcel Delivery: This next-day delivery option provides fast and reliable delivery of small or medium-sized items, such as clothing, electronics, or books.
- XPO Click and Collect: This service provides convenient and flexible delivery of items to or from over 7,000 local collection and drop-off points across the UK. You have the option to select delivery to a location near your customer's residence or workplace, or alternatively, enable your customers to conveniently return items at a nearby Click and Collect point.
- United States Postal Service (USPS)
USPS is the national postal service of the United States, with a history dating back to 1775. However, USPS offers a variety of last mile delivery services in the UK through its partnership with Royal Mail Group (RMG), including:
- USPS Priority Mail Express International: Offering fast and guaranteed delivery of urgent or time-sensitive shipments within the UK or internationally, your shipments can be delivered within three to five business days. Plus, this service includes tracking, insurance, and a money-back guarantee for some destinations.
- USPS Priority Mail International: This provides economical and reliable delivery of non-urgent shipments within the UK or internationally. Hence, your shipments are delivered within six to 10 business days. This service also includes tracking and insurance.
- USPS First-Class Mail International: This service offers low-cost delivery of lightweight shipments that contain items worth less than $400 and that weigh less than four lbs. However, this service does not include tracking or insurance.
- Airmail M-Bags: This offering furnishes value-priced shipping of printed materials only, such as books, newspapers, or magazines. You can send up to 66 lbs of printed matter in one bag. However, this service does not include tracking or insurance.
Gophr is a UK-based delivery technology platform that provides on-demand and scheduled delivery of parcels and documents. Gophr's network of professional couriers uses a variety of vehicles, such as bicycles, motorcycles, cars, or vans, to deliver your items as fast as possible.
The company provides various delivery options:
- Gophr Same-Day: This supplies fast and reliable delivery of same-day shipments within London and other major cities in the UK. You can book your delivery online or via a mobile app and get an instant quote and confirmation. You can also track your delivery in real-time and communicate with your courier directly.
- Gophr Scheduled: This service provides flexible and timely delivery of scheduled shipments. You can book your delivery in advance and choose your preferred time slot and date. With this option, you can also track your delivery and engage in direct communication with your courier.
- Gophr Returns: As the name suggests, this option enables the easy and hassle-free return of items from your customers to you or your suppliers. You can request a pickup online or via the mobile app and get an instant quote and confirmation.
We have reviewed the top last mile couriers in the UK and have highlighted their main features and benefits, which you can use to compare and contrast these couriers and make an informed decision. However, if your preference is a cost-effective courier in the UK that guarantees reliable and sustainable last mile logistics, contact us today at Bezos!
What is last mile delivery, and why is it important?
Last mile delivery is the final and most crucial stage of the eCommerce supply chain, where goods are transported from a distribution hub to the customer's doorstep. It's important because it affects customer satisfaction, retention, loyalty, and the cost and efficiency of the delivery process.
How can I choose the best last mile courier for my online business?
While there's no universal solution, selecting the ideal last mile courier for your online business depends on factors such as speed, dependability, adaptability, user-friendliness, eco-friendliness, and affordability. By measuring potential couriers against these benchmarks, you can identify the perfect fit. In this context, Bezos stands out as a prime option, striking a balance among all these criteria, making it a top choice for many.
How can I track and manage my last mile deliveries?
Most last mile couriers in the UK offer real-time tracking and notifications for your deliveries. Consider using their online platforms or mobile apps to monitor the status of your shipments and receive email or text alerts on their progress. You can also contact their customer service teams for any queries or issues.
How can I reduce the environmental impact of my last mile deliveries?
One of the ways to reduce the environmental impact of your last mile deliveries is to choose couriers that use low-emission or zero-emission vehicles, such as bicycles, electric vans, or drones. You can also look for couriers that have green initiatives, such as carbon offsetting, recycling, or reusing packaging materials.